February 27, 2012

DONUT DROPS

This is a recipe that my mom got from her mom (my grandmother).  It's for Donut Drops, and they're really, really good.  I made these last week, and thought I'd post about it.  Here's the recipe.

Donut Drops

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt

1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
3 Tbs oil (we use Canola oil)

HEAT oil to 375 degrees F.  MIX together 1st five ingredients.  ADD next three ingredients to dry mixture.  BLEND all ingredients thoroughly.  DROP by teaspoon into hot oil.  TURN and fry until both sides are light golden brown and center is cooked.  REMOVE from oil.  DRAIN on paper towels.  SHAKE in powdered sugar or cinnamon and sugar mixtures. SERVE warm. 

Shaking Mixtures:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 - 1 Tbs cinnamon
MIX together well in sandwich bag

Put 3/4 cup powdered sugar in another sandwich bag
 
The dough should be thick - not runny or thin.

I used a cereal spoon to plop the drops into the oil.

This is what they look like after being fried. 

It's best if you shake them in the coatings when they are still hot.
Left:  Powdered sugar
Right:  Cinnamon and Sugar mixture

Yummy!  :)

This recipe should make about 3 dozen (or 36) drops.  I made mine too big, so I only got about 20 drops.

Go ahead, take a bite.  Ya know ya wanna!  ;)


No comments: